In her first public comments since being diagnosed with a brain tumor, President Donald Trump said Tuesday he was “very optimistic” about his recovery and “look forward to a speedy recovery.”
In a brief, impromptu interview on Fox News Channel, Trump said he’s been in the hospital since January with a tumor in his brain, which is the most aggressive in his history.
His wife Melania Trump was also hospitalized last year, but doctors were able to remove the tumor in time for her to return to work in December.
Trump has been in intensive care at the hospital for the past month, where he’s had surgery to remove a blood clot in his neck.
The president said he was diagnosed with brain cancer at age 46, and was given a prognosis of 10-20 years, according to a timeline published on his official website.
He said he “did not get better, but I am getting better” and “will make a big difference.”
Trump said the “biggest challenge” for him has been “getting over this traumatic injury” he suffered while playing golf, and that he’s now in “very good spirits.”
Trump’s first public comment since the diagnosis was delivered on Tuesday.
Trump said that after the surgery, he went home and “went to bed, and when I woke up, I started to feel the pain.”
I’m also feeling great physically, I’m seeing my muscles do great, I am feeling great mentally, I feel great physically,” he said.